Tuesday, April 14, 2009

TINTED WINDOWS-S/T (S-Curve/EMI)


OK, as much as I love music and long to listen to anything new, hip and exciting, I have to admit that I am usually skeptical when it comes to 'supergroups'. I love ASIA, but nothing since then has really floated my boat. So, when I heard that there was a new 'supergroup' on the horizon named TINTED WINDOWS that features James Iha (SMASHING PUMPKINS), Adam Schlesinger (FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE), Bun E. Carlos (CHEAP TRICK) and Taylor Hanson (HANSON... yes, HANSON!), I went into 'skeptic mode' almost immediately. But then I thought about it: all four of these guys were in bands that were unashamedly POP. And I LOVE Pop, be it Power Pop, Pure Pop, Synth Pop, Progressive Pop or Whatever Pop. Heck, I'll even listen to Soda Pop just cuz the word 'Pop' is in the name! So, I thought I'd give it a go...

All I can say is TINTED WINDOWS kicks more butt than you can possibly imagine! With guitar-fueled, glorious POP songs filled with hooks galore, this self-titled platter is everything a guitar Pop fan has been looking for... and maybe even better than that.

Every song is chock full of melody, harmony and energy (three key ingredients in Power Pop) and there is not a beat wasted here. The songs leap out of your speakers and never overstay their welcome. Only two of the album's 11 songs clock in over 4 minutes, while most stay within the 3 minute range (another key ingredient in the Power Pop stew).

More importantly, there is not one song here that seems forced or awkward; the band sounds like they are having fun from the first note to the last. No posing, no strutting... just energetic guitar Pop that should be blasting out of every car radio this summer. Yes, this is 'cruisin' down the boulevard with the top down and the stereo turned up' Pop/Rock.

More Cheap Trick and Fountains Of Wayne than Smashing Pumpkins or Hanson, Tinted Windows works because all four members are extremely talented musicians who bring their own talents to the table and never over-extend themselves.

Certainly one of the best albums of the year so far and that is saying quite a bit since there have been some fantastic releases recently! But you'll find out about those in other blog postings!

RELEASED APRIL 21st, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment