Tuesday, December 7, 2010

SANTA RECOMMENDS...THE COLOURFIELD

Hello, kids!

CHRISTMAS is almost here!  My elves are busy building toys, reading your e-mails and keeping busy.  A few of them spend far too much time on Facebook these days, but we're still on schedule so I won't complain.

Have you written out your Christmas wish list yet?  No?  Well, you better get busy.  There's only a little time left before I load my sleigh up with gifts and make my journey around the world on Christmas night! 

If you are having a hard time deciding what you want, may I suggest these?


Let me start out by saying this: I have NEVER given Terry Hall a lump of coal in all the years I've been delivering gifts to him, so I have no idea why he seems so miserable all the time! Well, those of us that love him know that his dour demeanor hides a wicked sense of humor, so all is forgiven.  While many in the mainstream may not know him by name, you'd be surprised at how much wonderful music he has released over the past three decades. He fronted The Specials for two albums before leaving to form Fun Boy Three.  After two albums with them, he split and formed The Colourfield.  Originally a trio, the Colourfield's wonderful 1986 debut album, Virgins & Philistines, was a wonderful mixture of '60s Folk Pop and '80s modernism.  Great tunes and a fairly positive vibe made it the most upbeat of his recordings thus far.  This CD edition adds loads of bonus tracks, making it a must-have for Terry Hall and intelligent Pop fans alike.  By the time Deception was released in 1987, The Colourfield was essentiall Terry with backing musicians.  While the album is not as half-heartedly cheery as the debut, it's still a wonder to listen to. Far more 'modern' sounding than Virgins..., Deception's cold atmosphere sounds more refreshing nearly 25 years later. Besides, the album contains some of Terry's finest vocal performances.  Again, loaded with bonus tracks, this is a near-essential purchase.

I must get going now.  Mrs. Claus needs some help in eating those delicicious oatmeal raisin cookies and I don't want to miss out!  They are fresh out of the oven, you know! Yum Yum!



Ho! Ho! Ho!
Santa


No comments:

Post a Comment